emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.

The Goddess Inheritance

The Goddess Inheritance - Aimee Carter April of 2013?Okay, so it's been bumped up to February, but still! February of 2013? After that ending? You have to be kidding me.ETA:As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!This review has spoilers from the first two novels in this series. Read at your own risk.The Goddess Inheritance was one of my most anticipated reads for 2013. I was sure after how much I enjoyed book two, Goddess Interrupted, that it would instantly become one of my favorites. Sadly, all it did was disappoint me.The Goddess Test series is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. A lot of people don't like the series, but I found myself loving it. That happens a lot with me. I tend to like books that others don't. The Goddess Inheritance begins nine months after the end of Goddess Interrupted. Kate is being held captive by Cronus and Calliope and about to give birth to her and Henry's child. Calliope has dastardly plans that include revenge on the gods, raising Kate's baby on her own and Kate's death. Cronus wants Kate, his freedom and his rule. It time for Kate to make her decision. Who will live and who will die? Kate's choices will affect not only her baby, her love and her family, but they will determine the future of the whole world.The plot was overloaded, but pretty predictable. I was often bored as I read, which is sad because I'd say this book has the most action of all three novels. Maybe even too much action. The book immediately dives in, and that's where it lost me. In the first twelve percent (of the e-ARC at least), two major plot points occur and then the author adds more and more and more on tops of those scenes, but most of them are immediately solved. It annoyed me to read about these conflicts that were brought up and dealt with in one chapter. (And almost none were resolved the way I wanted them to be.) By the end of the story, so much had happened that I felt like I had just read something from a completely different series, and a story that was much more amateur than the first two books.(Random note: HOW COULD NO ONE REALIZE SOMETHING WAS UP WHEN KATE DIDN'T CONTACT ANYONE FOR MONTHS? Forrealz?!)I'm not a big fan of Kate. She makes some lousy decisions, is involved in many miscommunications and she's often dim. There is one part in particular that had me rolling my eyes. An obvious "plot twist" is built and while it took me all of five pages to figure it out, Kate didn't figure out for quite some time. The main reason my rating is what it is is because of Henry and the baby. I'm a sucker for books with babies (I've said this several times). And while Henry isn't the greatest hero, there's something about him that I just love. Besides those two, I wasn't overly fond of any of the characters. I'm bitter and I hold grudges. (You all should keep that in mind.) Even death (*cough*) does not mean you have my pity.By the end of the novel, I truly felt let down. There were small scenes that I enjoyed, but overall, I found myself uninterested. Ms. Carter has a lot of talent, but I don't think the The Goddess Inheritance really showed that. I definitely plan to read more of this author's work. While this book was not my favorite, I still enjoyed the series as a whole and I hope to enjoy her next novel just as much, if not more.PS: Ava dies. The baby's name is Milo. Kate's dad is Zeus--if you didn't already realize. Kate and Henry end up together with their son.I received an e-copy of this novel for my honest opinion and review from the publisher via Netgalley.