emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Shine Shine Shine

Shine Shine Shine - Lydia Netzer As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!Shine, Shine, Shine is the strangest book that I've ever read. Not in a bad way, not at all, but I don't think I'll ever be able to rate it. It's so out of the norm that I can't rate it by the standards of my usual usual rating system.To be honest, the cover is what drew me into this book. It's gorgeous, a bit immature for the plot and writing style, but gorgeous nonetheless. I saw it on Netgalley and didn't read about the book or even check the genre, I just saw the cover and immediately requested the book. I'll learn my lesson about not judging books by their covers one day, but in this case, my instinct was spot-on.Shine, Shine, Shine was not what I was expecting. I couldn't decide if, by the summary, it would be about aliens or it would be contemporary. Even though Maxon, one of the main characters, acted like an alien and Sunny, the other main character, looked like an alien, this was definitely a contemporary novel.I loved Maxon. He is awkward and definitely not social creature, but he loves Sunny with all of his heart. That fact grows clearer as the book progresses. Even though he's not with her in person, as he is in space, Sunny and their children are what he thinks of most. I had trouble reading from Sunny's perspective sometimes. She isn't the easiest character to like. She's self-centered, sometimes cruel, emotionally stunted, but her intentions were honest and relatable. So while I didn't always like her, I rooted for her and Maxon to get the happily-ever-after that they deserved.The secondary characters were interesting. There weren't many that played a big role in the story, but the ones that were closest to Sunny - her mother and two best friends, helped her learn lessons about being who you are and not who you think you should be. I was surprised to gain a lesson myself from this story, but I did. This is a great book for people who need help being themselves. I think the main thing to take from this book is that everyone has crazy within them so no one should be afraid to be themselves because those who care about them will continue to do so even if they are odd.The end… I didn't like the end. I am a very cliche ending person. I love to know what happens to the characters. That means I'm not a fan of open-ended endings. There isn't anything wrong with them, but I need to know that the characters I've come to care about get their happily-ever-afters. So while the way the book leaves off left me wanting, I think it fits the novel better than the ending I wished for.Shine, Shine, Shine was captivating. The writing was absolutely phenomenal. I am not ashamed to say I was brought to tears more than once by the prose and plot that the author weaves. I put this book down once and that was to sleep. Besides sleeping, I couldn't put the book down long enough to do something else. All of the elements of this book made it perfect. I think many adults will enjoy this. I think that this is a book that people will love or hate. It's not the easiest book to connect with, but if you give it a chance, I think many adults will like it.