emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls - Tellulah Darling Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls is Tellulah Darling's debut novel and a hilarious one at that! I read this after reading (and loving) her second novel, My Ex From Hell. I must admit that I did not enjoy this one as much. That's not to say it's a bad book. It's fantastic! It was just different than what I had expected.If you looked up, "player" in the dictionary, you'd see Sam Cruz's face. He's a ladies man and not ashamed of it. When his best friend, Ally, asks him to teach her how to treat sex the way he so publicly does, he's sure that he finally found a girl that can handle "friends with benefits." Ally, on the other hand, has just been dumped for her long-term boyfriend. She's ready to screw around without letting her heart get in the way. As Ally's transformation rounds out, Sam discovers something he never expected: feelings for his best friend.The best part of this novel was the banter between the characters. Ms. Darling writes with great humor that had me laughing out loud several times. Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls is not a complex, moral-led story. It's a coming-of-age, fun-to-read, simplistic novel. And it works for her. It's a bit predictable, but the friends-to-lovers storyline never gets old! Tellulah's plot moved smoothly and at a really steady pace that had my almost constant attention--stupid school taking up so much of my time!I liked the characters, but didn't love them. Each had realistic flaws, but often grated on my nerves. Sam's casual approach to sex is not something I generally enjoy, but rooting for him and Ally to make things work between them came naturally. They had a fantastic friendship that lead to a adorable, albeit sexy, relationship. All of these characters had their own flavor of wit and charm that tied together for a fantastic cast.The themes in this novel are not for the immature. The focus is sex that means: there is a lot of sex, a lot of innuendo, and a whole lot of hilarious awkwardness. This is really a book about two teenagers growing up and discovering themselves. Though it's a pretty mature storyline, Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls takes a humorous approach to the subject. It will make its readers laugh. It will make them swoon. And it will provide a kind of entertainment that will have its readers looking for opportunities to read it again.Tellulah has a ton of talent. She's a real comedian that I'm sure will excel in her writing career. Her stories are full of heart, humor and some extremely attractive, fictional boys--so basically, they've got everything. I definitely recommend her work! (Seriously, go read these books!)I received an e-copy of this novel from the author for my honest opinion and review via Netgalley.This review can be seen here on my blog as well.