emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Arclight - Josin L. McQuein Arclight was a fascinating look into a terrifying new world. Josie McQuein spins an unforgettable debut that left me on the edge of my seat. I don't read very much science-fiction, but it's books like this make me question my hesitancy towards the genre. McQuein's story is absolutely compelling.I was immediately impressed with Arclight. This author builds a strangely entrancing story that makes the book fly by so quickly that it seems short. It's truly difficult to explain the novel, not only because the minor details are important to the whole plot, but because I'm left a bit dumbstruck about what happened. It makes a whole lot of sense when it is being read, but as soon as you sit and think about it, your brain gets twisted and there is a lot of head-scratching involved. (At least, that's how it is for me.)The logistics of this novel are a teen girl, Marina, doesn't remember anything about her life before she was wandered into the Arclight. Now that she has come into this new human colony, she is struggling to fit in, especially with the Fade, dark and parasitic creatures, launching more attacks since her arrival. No one trusts her, and she's not even sure of the truth herself. The more she learns, the more she wonders: Who is Marina?These characters were so… different. (Again, I'm really worried that I'll say something and ruin the book for someone.) Just know that I liked them (for the most part). And their differences made for a really insightful story--and it goes just beyond the characters and says some things about human nature as well. It's fascinating!There is a love triangle in this novel, that I'm sure will be expanded on in future books. I liked both of the love interests, but I could only see one as a good romance for Marina. The only was just nice on his own. And the one I liked, no one else did… So… I'll be heartbroken in the end, I'm sure. Either way, the romance isn't fully formed on either side during this book. The surface is just skimmed and Marina's history takes precedence. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that because usually, I'm a romance junkie.The plot moved reasonably, though there were a few times when I felt that it needed a bit of a push. It's level of entertainment is high, even through the low points of the story. It's amazing that even with the minor predictability, I couldn't put the book down. It's a thrilling read that provides an amazing new world--seriously, I was absolutely blown away by the world-building. The depth of it was amazing and I can't wait to read more of it!Ms. McQuein has completely blown me away with this debut. Will I be reading her future work? Heck yes! (And as soon as I possibly can!) Arclight is a debut that I think all sorts of readers can enjoy! Readers will be anxiously vying for the sequel!I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review via Edelweiss. This review can be seen here on my blog as well.