emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa 4.5 StarsThe Eternity Cure… Oh what to say about you. You are everything a person could want in a young adult horror novel. Gore? Check. Violence? Check. A badass chick wielding a katana? Check. Major twists that will leave readers agape? Check. Check. Check.Julie Kagawa has a real talent, there is no doubt about it. If it wasn't obvious before, it is now. In The Eternity Cure, she brilliantly weaves a hellish tale of vampirism and deadly plagues, all while adding a dash romance. It works very well for the author's prose and the characters that she has developed. This series has brought back the terrifying vampires we grew up with back with a vengeance and it's one that readers won't soon forget!I read this with my reading buddy, Jen and we both found it difficult to finish without a bottle glass of wine. I'd had a warning beforehand about the way the book ends, but no one really explained how big of a cliffie it really is! Though I could kind of see it coming, it still left me shell-shocked and desperate for the next book! Julie Kagawa is brilliant. Not only is the book extremely entertaining, but I found very little faults. I loved the movement of the story, the characters, the writing style and how even though we (thankfully) don't live in this world, Ms. Kagawa makes us understand the anguish of this world. The world-building is absolutely phenomenal. The prose is haunting. And the characters? These characters are fantastic. Allie, of course, is an awesome female lead. She's smart, she's strong-willed and she's ruthless when she needs to be. Reading from her perspective is utterly thrilling. Kanin is probably my favorite character though. I am dying to get a glimpse inside his head. He's a real mystery because he is so closed-off! Now… Don't tell Jen, but I actually really liked Jackal in this book as well. That may be the biggest surprise of them all! His not exactly a good guy, but his wit and humor provided the perfect amount of comedic relief, so the reader wouldn't overdose on all of the angst (and boy is there a lot of angst). Zeke… I like Zeke, really I do, but I'm still not in love. He feels a bit too much like a cardboard cutout to me.Readers who enjoyed the first installment of the Blood of Eden series will love The Eternity Cure even more. I know that was the case for me and I am not usually one for horror--unless it involves zombies. If you haven't read this series yet, I sincerely recommend you do so! It's addictive and fast-paced. I just can't rave enough about it. The Eternity Cure is a thrilling ride that leave reader chomping at the bit for the third novel!I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review via Netgalley.This review can also be seen on my blog, Book Jems!