emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Of Silver and Beasts - Trisha Wolfe Of Silver and Beasts was a truly engaging story. Ms. Wolfe has written another fascinating tale that provides near constant entertainment. Though I wasn't sure what to expect at first, I applaud Trisha Wolfe for gifting readers with another imaginative tale.Kaliope, or Kal as she is affectionately referred, is head of the Nactue, those who guard the empress of her homeland, Cavan. She would do anything to keep her empress, kingdom and people safe--including babysitting another kingdom's prince as his own home is destroyed by Otherworlders. When a surprise attack on Cavan leads to not only Caben, the prince, and Kal's capture, but unravelling of her homeland, Kal plans to do everything in her power to keep Caben safe and save her home. This includes protecting Caben (and maybe, just maybe falling in love with him), fighting to the death in a caged arena, battling inhuman enemies and stealing back the relic that gives her empress power and life. While over time I grew fond of him, Caben was not originally a character for whom I cared. He's selfish, arrogant and, a times, pretty sexist. His relationship with Kal is a trigger for character growth and as the novel continued, you could see him changing for the better. Kal was a strong character. Her devotion and determination make her a very relatable young woman. We didn't see into the lives of the minor characters too much, but I am fond enough of them to hope they play a larger role in the future of the series.The world-building was pretty dang good. Though here and there I had difficulty imagining some elements of the story, the author handles this fantasy excellently. The settings and background of the story were absolutely brilliant. There were several themes that I hadn't often read before that were intriguing, including a society where women play a more dominant role than men. Ms. Wolfe handles this with grace. Not only is her story fantastical, but her writing style will draw in its readers very quickly. Time will pass by faster than you thought because you will be sucked into the story until the very end! Alas, I must admit that Of Silver and Beasts did not have my full attention immediately, but rather I gradually warmed up to the story and its characters. The plot moved a bit too slowly at points--which is the main reason for the "near constant entertainment." I also was eagerly anticipating the romance of this story as I am especially fond of the relationships Ms. Wolfe creates and when it didn't appear in the very beginning, I was somewhat disheartened. As the story progressed, so did my enjoyment of the story and by the end, I was sad that it was over. I can say with full honesty that I am looking forward to the next installment. So many things are left unanswered… I can't wait to see how everything unfolds!As there is some mature content in this, I would recommend this to older young adult/new adults fans looking for a fantasy. Of Silver and Beasts is sure to draw its readers in and have them more than ready for the sequel once they reach the end--because really… WHAT THE HECK! I received an e-copy of this novel from the author for my honest opinion and review.This review can also be found at my blog, Book Jems!