emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Insight - Jolene Perry As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!3.5 StarsInsight is the first book in the Shadows series and what a start it was!Before picking up Insight, I had never read a book by Jolene Perry. Many of my friends had recommended her work, though, so when I saw openings for a blog tour, I immediately signed up. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm glad I did. Even with the few issues I had with the story here and there, I was surprised by how much I truly enjoyed reading the novel. It was very hard to put it down once I started!Micah is psychic. She has the ability to see glimpses of someone's life when she touches them. She's had the ability her whole life, but hasn't told anyone, not even her beloved mother. Micah doesn't have many friends when she moves to a new town with her mother, but soon is introduce to new people, including Landon and his posse. When one of her peers dies, and Micah realizes she could've stopped it, she harbors a serious guilt that keeps her from giving Landon her whole heart. For their relationship to work out, Micah must be honest with him about everything, including her power. But the shadows of an ancient tragedy are getting closer and the first thing on on the couples' minds is how to survive the many obstacles ahead.Micah and Landon were great main characters, and there actions seemed very realistic for the situations they were in and the way they had grown up. The author does well in making these characters relatable. As separate people, there were several times where I found myself annoyed with them, but together, they captured my heart quickly. I loved reading as their relationship bloomed. They really are a sweet couple.Micah's unconditional love for her mother was endearing, if a bit creepy at times. Her mom was a good minor character. Her love for Micah was obvious as well. Reading about a main character with caring parents was fantastic! We don't see many of those around anymore in young adult novels. Landon made me sa-wooooon. He's a great male lead, though it hurt my heart a bit when he wasn't with Micah. I would love to see into his past more, and learn more about his dad and what his dad does in the background. I hope in a future novel (or novella) we get that glimpse!This book will tug at your heartstrings at some points! And by the end, you will think of the characters as people you know and care about. While it wasn't the best thing I've ever read, it was a really good story that I'm glad I took the time to read.My main issue with Insight was the cliche, and sometimes awkward, writing. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't the entire book that was a hot mess, but there were several parts that had me rolling my eyes or giggling because it sounded so ridiculous.Insight was a great story that grabbed my interest enough to make me want to continue the series! Though the books focus on separate couples, I really hope that there will be parts where the readers get to see Micah and Landon again. Their future together is one that I am interested in seeing!I received an e-copy of this novel from the author for my honest opinion and review.