emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Drowning Instinct - Ilsa J. Bick As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!Drowning Instinct is one of the most emotional reads that I've read in a while… in fact, it may be one of the most emotional books that I've read ever.It's mostly the last hundred pages that did me in. The narrator, while she explains her emotions often, seemed emotionless at the same time. It was almost like she was holding in how she felt and forcing herself to be a robot. I noticed this in the first book of Ilsa J. Bick's dystopian series, Ashes as well. I think it worked better in Drowning Instinct. It was understandable with everything the poor girl in this story had to deal with.Honestly, the ending has torn me apart. I am typing through my tears. It was so heart-wrenching. This ending, this entire book, will stick with me for quite a while. Especially with the way the book left off. Definitely not a happy ending. Though from the blurb, it is obvious that a book of this subject would have a sad ending. I didn't know if I would read this in the first place, because I usually am not a unhappy ending girl. Happy endings and happy romances are the books I enjoy most. (I'm just saying, if I wanted to see an unhappy ending, I'd look my my life and the lives of those less fortunate!)I don't know if I would say I enjoyed this book. It was an amazing read, but can you really enjoy something that shows the vulnerability and fears of a young girl? She's traumatized by everything that has happened in her life and who can blame her? It tore my heart open to read about her life and how the one thing that made me happy was taken away.I have never seen a teacher and student relationship firsthand. They are reported in the news every so often, from all across the United States. I honestly never really found it disturbing. A lot of people will disagree with me. I'm not saying that it's okay. It's not. Not at all. And I know this book is fiction, but after reading this, I wonder if this is how the students and teachers feel. Are they in love? Do they want to spend their lives together? Or is it just a therapeutic outlet? This has always been a fascinating subject in my opinion. When finishing this novel, I am even more intrigued now.Drowning Instinct really makes you think. It doesn't broach this controversial subject by examining it as a crime. You see one side of the story. The "victim's" story and how she changed from what she experienced. This book makes you think about whether all cases truly make the students a victim. Are you a vicim if you act on your own behalf? Are you a victim if you fall in love? This book was a roller coaster and my heart is still in my throat. I think it's a great book, but it's definitely not for everyone. It's a tough subject that Ms. Bick handles beautifully.