emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Nerve - Jeanne Ryan As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!4.5/5 StarsWhen I finished Nerve, I really didn't know how I felt about it. It was a book that I literally couldn't stop reading. There isn't really a point where the plot settles down. Every time you think to set the book aside and do something productive, you'll find yourself sucked back in by something shocking. Now after thinking about it for a while, I liked the book a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it was addicting and very eye-opening.Vee is tired of being seen as the good girl that is only involved behind the scenes. When Matthew, the boy she's got the biggest crush on, jokes about Nerve and how she, "Little Vee" could never do something like that, she wants to prove him wrong. She wants to prove everyone wrong and show them that she's not always the good girl that everyone says she is. With the help of her game partner, Ian, and the chance to win amazing prizes, Vee continues to play. But as the game goes on, the dares get more and more extreme. Who cares about the prizes, when Vee might not make it out of these games with her life.The subject is terrifying, and in this day and age, could EASILY become real. Teenagers think they are invincible, most of them at least. They want to live their lives as they see fit. They want everyone to be jealous of them, want to be their friend or think they are the coolest thing since slice bread. I doubt that will ever change. This novel takes that idea to the extreme and addresses the subject very well.I openly admit that I got annoyed by Vee a few times. She's very meek, even when doing all of the dares that Nerve sends her. She relies on her friends a bit too much, but she really is a good person. She's just at an age where she is unsure of herself and of her future. Matthew is a character that I immediately disliked. He's very condescending when he talks to Vee. I felt bad for Vee when we saw his true intentions. Ian was adorable. I want one. Please? There some serious surprises regarding characters. There is one major one that I didn't really see coming until the audience knows. I still can't believe it!There were a few loose ends that leave me hopeful for a sequel. I'm not sure exactly what could be done with it, but there is so much about the future that I want to know!This book is an experience, that's for sure. Enjoyable isn't the word that I would use to describe it. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, there's just something about it that continues to creep you out long after you finish the book. The author writes this suspenseful thriller very well! The audience will be drawn to the storyline from beginning to end, rooting Vee on and suffering from some serious secondhand embarrassment! I received a free e-copy of this novel for a blog tour in exchange for my honest review.