emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin) - Anna Campbell As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!4.5/5 StarsSeven Nights in a Rogue's Bed first appealed to me because I was in the mood for some sexy historical romance. That was definitely what I got. It was perfect for the mood I was in. After finishing this book, I was left feeling throughly swooned, satisfied and giddy. Don't you just love when that happens?As the book begins, I was immediately reminded of the classic fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. Just as in that story, Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed stars naive girl who takes her beloved family member's place to remain in the clutches of an evil beast. Only in this case, the evil beast is a scarred man and the debt is not paid with love and companionship, but with the main character, Sidonie's body. Sidonie is offering herself to save her sister, who is not only in danger from a gambling debt, but also from an abusive husband. Sidonie gives us an interesting perspective into her life and the lives of her family. She is a genuinely sweet person who is often taken advantage of. My heart went out to her as the story developed. She really didn't deserve to be in the situation she was in. Though I'm, of course, glad she was because how else would we have gotten to meet Jonas. Oh Jonas, how you make me swoon! Jonas is a good guy. I couldn't help but feel bad for him because his life has been full of betrayals and lies. Sidonie is a good fit for him and he for her. They are just so… lovely. Enter dreamy sigh here.My only real issue with the book is that Jonas speaks Italian. Not because I have a problem with Italians. I don't. I love Italians! Pasta is one of my favorite foods and Italian men are so sexy. I just don't know the language. I'm kind of an idiot. I took German in high school and college. I know nothing of the Italian language besides "graze" and "bella." That's it. So reading Jonas's Italian terms of endearment, without an explanation of what the phrases meant, was difficult. Maybe I'm just picky, but I would've liked to have an explanation of what the endearments meant.I really enjoyed the plot. It was detailed and unlike any other historical romance I've read. When starting this book, I thought I knew exactly how it would go - what events would happen, who was the bad guys, how Sidonie and Jonas would end up together. To be honest, I really didn't expect many things that happened. I was thrilled when the Ms. Campbell was able to continuously surprise me with plot twists. There was a lot of angst, which I loved! The author really put my heart through the wringer. I smiled, laughed, swooned and teared-up. Anna Campbell really knows how to provoke feelings as you read! I'm so glad this is the beginning of a series! The ride that Ms. Campbell will lead us on with Sons of Sin is one that I'm sincerely looking forward to! She has reminded me why I love historical romance!I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley.