emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Silver Knight - Caron Rider As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!3 Stars!Silver Knight has a very interesting and original plot line. I read the blurb on Goodreads and my first thought was, I've never heard of anything like this before!The voice of the novel is a teenage girl and it's writing very well, in the sense that you can believe that she is a teenager. Diana, the main character is your average teenage girl in a YA book. Though I often felt that she was a lot younger than the author tried to portray her as. She's not super sophisticated and her thoughts aren't censored. Within the first few pages, I noticed a few awkwardly written sentences, but it was still pretty interesting.There was a lot of cheesiness to the book. It's obvious that it's a debut novel - not in a bad way. The writing is just amateur. Within the book, some of the phrasing is strange and I don't think it always meant what the author thought it did. There are a few grammatical issues, too. There are also some parts that are completely unbelievable, but I can understand some of it seeing as it's a paranormal novel.To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the cover. It's very common for self-published titles to have plain, or less exotic covers. Silver Knight is no exception to that and I'm one of those people who judges a book by my opinion of the cover. I probably wouldn't have picked this up if I wasn't offered to join a blog tour and get a free copy. But I'm glad I got the chance to read it!I really love the paranormal aspects of this story. You often read about ghosts in young adult fiction, but demons are not usually a broached topic. I have read very few. Ms. Rider wrote them with interesting backstories that really kept me reading. It's neat how she incorporated famous persons in history within the story and made the events that made them famous as past lives for the Warriors that meet up with Diana.I loved that fact that Diana loved to read. She's very intelligent and I enjoyed reading from her perspective. Though I enjoyed reading about her in her past lives, rather than the present. The story line for those were much more interesting. I loved reading about her lives. While the present was not very captivating, because it reminded me too much of my own boring life. The first "transition" to the past confused me. It was pretty abrupt, but after reading the first one, they didn't bother me because I knew what to expect. I did not like the point-of-view changes. I rarely read books that have switches in point-of-view. It annoys me. I struggled with the parts that had switched from Diana's perspective.The end left me wanting more! I will continue to read and see where this series leads. I would love to see more Alex and Diana!I received a free e-copy of this novel for a blog tour in exchange for my honest review.