emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Every Day - David Levithan As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!I've been told before that I just shouldn't read popular/hyped books a few times. Since I found this… lacking, I'd have to say that I really should stop. I looked at the ratings for this novel and was surprised to find only a handful of one/two star ratings. I want to give it three, because I liked it, but the real rating for me is probably more of a two stars. I gave it a boost for originality.As I read the beginning of Every Day, I really enjoyed it, but during the progression of the story, I found myself bored and able to put it down for long periods of time. That's never a good sign. The concept was super interesting. So creative and unique! David Levithan is a brilliant writer. He writes in a way that will tug at your heartstrings. He's utterly magnificent. And he always gives us the most magnificent quotes. So why then didn't I like this book?I think the main reason I didn't really enjoy this is because of the characters. The characters. Goodness me, the characters drove me nuts. A is a sweetheart, but I found him very selfish. Then again, you can understand why he's being selfish. He wants to take advantage of life, which is hard when you live through another person every single day. My feelings towards him made my head spin. At some points in the novel, it is hard to like him, but at other parts, I found myself wanting to hug him. A is overall very likable, but his situation is sad and definitely hard to relate to. Plus the girl he's in love with? …No, thank you! I don't get the attraction. I thought she was super annoying and rude. It was really interesting to see the lives of all of these different people, though. That was what I really liked. You never saw the same kind of person twice. The author is very good at giving his audience realistic characters that come from different backgrounds, that have different emotions and different tastes. Because really, no two people are exactly the same. David Levithan writes diversity phenomenally. It's just one of those things where I feel like I'm reading a different book than everyone else. The entire world loved this and I'm like… "Did I pick up the wrong book?" That's not to say this was bad. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it? I'd like to give it another try soon. And just because I didn't like this book, doesn't mean that I won't read the author again. His writing is quite enjoyable! This novel just wasn't for me.I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley.