emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Lies Beneath - Anne Greenwood Brown As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!Lies Beneath was definitely interesting. Before this novel, the only mermaid story I had read was one that Disney's "The Little Mermaid" is based off of. It's safe to say that I don't remember any of it. I just remember being sadden by the end. So when I picked up this novel, I didn't know what to expect. Even though I wasn't amazed by Lies Beneath, this definitely won't be the last mermaid novel I read. Mermaids are aThe story and characters really intrigued me.The novel is told from a male's perspective, Calder White. Calder and his three sisters, Maris, Pavati and Tallulah, are mermaids/mermen/merpeople. They kill humans to absorb their energy so they can continue to live. Calder and his siblings are seeking revenge from the Hancock family, who killed their mother many years before. Now, they plan to kill Jason Hancock in retribution. The four mermaids are willing to do whatever it takes as they seek justice from their dead mother - that includes using Jason's two daughters are bait to lure Jason Hancock to his death, or even possibly killing them. What they don't expect is for Calder to fall in love with the older daughter, Lily.The toughest thing about this book for me is the fact that I didn't like Lily. I have no idea how Calder grew to care for her so quickly, because even when we are first introduced to her, I disliked her. I did enjoy reading from Calder's perspective though. Reading from a male's point-of-view is always fun. The male perspective is becoming more and more popular lately. I'm thrilled about that. Another character I was surprised that I grew very fond of was Calder's sister, Tallulah. She's a very sad, hopeless character that I couldn't help but feel bad for. She was very desperate to keep the things she loved close to her. Her role was one reason I was as absorbed in this as much as I was. I also really loved Lily's younger sister and parents. They were so sweet. The family really loved each other and that was obvious. Another thing you don't often read anymore are characters with good home lives.The author wrote a thrilling tale and I will definitely continue reading, even though this book didn't leave that large of an impression on me. I enjoyed it and followed along very easily, but I knew about halfway through that it wasn't going to be one that I'd really loved. I can't wait to see how book two will play out. They author could take the series in so many directions. Hopefully, the characters continue to develop and grow in the next book and Lily will begin to redeem herself.