emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Quarantine: The Loners - Lex Thomas As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!3.5/5 Stars!Quarantine: The Loners is the creepiest, most terrifying book that I have read this year. Actually, it may be the creepiest book I've EVER read.After finishing it, I was amazed. Not by how much I loved it, but because of the details of the story. This book is literally insane. Everything that happens in it is so unbelievable, but I was scared the entire time!It's definitely an original plot. I've never read anything like it before. I don't know if that's a good thing or not… The Hunger Games seems to have triggered a new wave of authors trying their shot at frightening, Dystopian novels. Some are pushing boundaries that have been dormant for years before now. This book is one of them.The Loners is different from The Hunger Games most definitely, but I can't help but compare them because of the constant death that surrounds both books. The Loners is about a guy, David, who just wants to protect his brother from the crazed high schoolers that have grown reckless and dangerous. He wants to keep safe until he and his brother, Will, can get out of the high school. Only those past the point of puberty can leave the school, because they will no longer carry the infection that the prepubescent teenagers carry. This infection is fatal to all adults and if I understand it correctly, young children, too.I'm sure there is going to be a lot of controversy surrounding this book. I'm on the fence, to be honest. I usually am. There are at lot of things in this book that I don't think should be read by teenagers. Not because they'll become notorious serial killers afterwards, but because there are just some things that not everyone is mature enough to handle. I believe this book is more adult than young adult. Personally, I don't think it should be read by anyone younger than a high school freshman - if that. This book takes the term "young adult" and throws it around very loosely. There is a lot of detail, much of that detail surrounds the ideas and acts of murder.I'm an adult physically, mentally and legally and there were times in this book where I wanted to put it down and step away for awhile. On the other hand, I was entranced by the horror of it all. It may sound like I didn't like this book. That is not the case. It was not my favorite book, but it kept my attention until the very end. My whole point is that I think it is directed at the wrong age group.The writing is very good. The point-of-view change up is a little awkward, but other than that I really enjoyed it. I finished it in a few sittings and really did like the story. It's a strange idea, but the originality is what really kept my interest. There is a lot of mystery, surprise and even some romance. This book is not what you'd expect. The Loners is full of information. You learn something new every chapter. I don't think I could give a good synopsis because to truly understand, you must read the book.I recommend The Loners to fans of Dystopian horror. That is how I would classify this novel. If you are looking for a light-hearted adventure, this is not what you want.