emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
The Immortal Rules - Julie Kagawa As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!3.5 Stars!"'You are no longer human. You are a predator, and the sooner you accept that, the easier this life, this existence, will become.'"The Immortal Rules is a adrenaline-pumping, action-filled novel that is sure to be enjoyed by vampire lovers!What a way to start a story! Ms. Kagawa is not afraid to dive right in and that is something to admire.Allison or Allie as she is called in the beginning is the main character and she is not exactly a nice person. In the beginning, I didn't like reading from her point of view because all her thoughts were negative. Though it was great to read about a character who loved to read and risked her life by doing so. That's my kind of girl. I'm sure we would've been friends, if she could stop being so mean.This book is so gory and frightening! I normally don't read horrors novels and even though this isn't classified as a horror story, it definitely has elements in it that make it a horror. I had heard so many good things about this that I had to give it a try! I'm so glad I did. I LOVED the gore and action in this novel. I literally became hooked on it. Allison is hardcore and an amazing fighter. I was captivated by her action scenes.What I noticed? Julie Kagawa likes the word "glass." She especially likes "broken glass and windows." After a while, it really started to bother me. I counted some form of the phrase "broken glass" twenty times in the first thirty percent of this novel. Much of the author's language is repetitive. I also found a few spelling and grammatical errors, but since this is an ARC, I'm sure they will be fixed for the final copies.Just after I began this novel, I heard that it was going to be made into a movie. After that news, I actually started to enjoy it more because the way Ms. Kagawa writes gives you great visuals. You can see the story perfectly as it unfolds. I can't wait to see what they can do with this!I really got into the book about half way through. Allison, which is what she is called by the group she happens upon, really changes. You can see her adjust to being a vampire. Honestly, I think it changed her for the better. She doesn't exactly mature, but she begins to the world and people differently. She begins to care about the welfare of others. That's why I started to enjoy it. Her transformation makes her a likable character.This book gets pretty angsty at times. I love it! I can't read a book without conflict and this had some great problems and even better villains. Some of the "villains" in this story aren't actually villains, but they definitely aren't good. In this crazy world that Ms. Kagawa created, you can see how people would change. It really makes sense, too.The ending was very rushed. I pretty much skimmed it, because even through skimming, you could get the gist of the last few major events. I was very annoyed in the change of pace and the lack of my favorite characters. Allison and Zeke were pretty much the main characters, but I wish the author would've included the minor characters more. I loved Kanin and wanted to see more of him.I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book! This was a good book, not my favorite, but definitely worth reading!