emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!4.5/5 Stars!Grave Mercy sucked me in from the very first page. I wasn't surprised how much I loved it. The cover alone had me. It's gorgeous and I think that it really captures Ismae's character. From the cover you can see a strong, elegant, deadly woman and that's exactly how I would describe Ismae.I didn't think that this novel should be a young-adult. There were some parts in this book that if I had children, I wouldn't let them read. Because it's a historical romance, I can understand that the author thought it would be okay to put a lot of violence and some sexual content in the novel. I think at some points, the story went a bit far in it for younger teenagers to read. (When I say younger teenagers, I mean 13-16 year-olds.) For 17+ year-olds, I think it is a great novel that will have you hooked from the beginning.I love the romance between Duval and Ismae. They are so sweet together and so evenly matched. He meets her in wit, intelligence and strength. As a couple, they really complement each other and I was attached to them from the first time they met. I would've loved to see more into their future, but I think that as the series develops, we will see more of the past characters and how they have wound up. The action in this novel made me wish that I could be in it. The missions and ideas that these woman believed in were amazing. I know it's not real, but it was so cool to read about female characters with so much faith and that were so educated. And they weren't just educated in the Gods or schooling, but in self-defense, poisons, weapons and strategy. It made me feel like a total wimp. The most I can do is point and spray my mace! These women were unbelievable. I wish I could see something like this in action.The minor characters in this novel were also very interesting. Duval's family had so many problems, but overall, they really just wanted the best for each other and I think that was obvious in their actions. I never guessed the actual traitor and couldn't believe it until Ismae found it out and then it all made sense. He played them, and me, so well! There were a lot of twists and turns in this novel and they were executed so well because Ms. LaFevers wrote her characters brilliantly.I really loved this book and I'm happy that I was able to get a ARC (Advance Reader's Copy) from Netgalley. I can't wait until the second book is released in 2013!