emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Lie to Me - Starr Ambrose Review as seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!2.5/5I liked this, but I didn't love it. I just couldn't get into the last 45%. There is a twist that makes the book just get cheesy and annoying. I didn't really like Ellie (Eleanor, Nora, El). She annoyed me from the very beginning. There is a line between being gutsy and brave and being an idiot and reacting without thinking. I just didn't like her at all. I liked Jack, somewhat. He was annoying at some points, too, but it was easy to see that he was a good guy. My favorite character was Libby. She was such a sweet little girl. The last chapter was very touching for these three characters. It was a good ending for a cheesy romance book. Rocky was awesome, too. He was fun and added some seriousness and comedy to the novel. And though I didn't like her in the being, Elizabeth was another great character. She really stepped up at the end.I was really bummed that I didn't like it as much as I hoped to. The blurb made it sound so interesting and really got me searching for this book. So once I had to start skimming the novel to keep my interest and be able to finish it, I was sad. The premise is great. The characters definitely need some work. And I just couldn't get into the whole "rich people lifestyle." The wealthy people in this book were so stereotypical. Plus, it seemed completely unrealistic. The author had a very interesting writing technique, but I didn't like the flipping between point-of-views. I wish she had stuck with Ellie's and interpreted Ellie's thoughts on Jack's reactions. Knowing how they both felt the entire time was just frustrating. There was no mystery in this novel. Everything was obvious and the whole basis of this novel was supposed to be mystery.I wish I could've liked this more than I had, but I just... didn't. I don't know if I will read any more of Ms. Ambrose's writing, if they are all like this.