emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James Review as seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!3/5 StarsI'm so bummed. I wanted to love this. It has a great plot and original ideas, but it didn't work for me.I am bothered most by the timeline. At the end of the book, Kate, Ana's best friend, mentions only being gone for sixteen days. Which means that the first two books of this series took place within a little over a month. …Really? It just isn't believable to me. It was totally and completely frustrating. I believe in love at first sight, but this was ridiculous. Letting a man control you that way after such a short period of time? In love, or not, it doesn't make sense to me. Ana really needed to control her own life and there wasn't much of that.Ana wasn't as spineless in this book. That was one thing I really enjoyed. She stood up for herself much more and wasn't afraid to state her opinion. Though at some points, she relented too fast for my taste, but it was much, much better than the first book. Although, the fact that Christian wouldn't budge on any of Ana's requests, when she shouldn't have to request? That was utterly annoying. Their interactions at most parts in this book make it seem like more of a dictatorship than a relationship.Also, this book had too many "big words" as my sister would say. It seemed like the author checked for a new word whenever she could. It wasn't necessary in the least and really took away from the story. It made everything more complex and personally, I don't want to have to look in my thesaurus every few sentences. Big words don't make the plot or the characters. This is especially so when the words weren't always used in the right context.It still follows the same plot as the fan fiction. I see no difference. Which is both good and bad. I wish the author had changed it up a bit for publishing, but I respect her choice.I will read the next one, but I don't think it will be the very next thing I read. I need a little break from the madness.