emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Fade - A.K. Morgen As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!Fade deserves a solid three stars. I really wanted to love this because because I absolutely adore the author, but it ended up just being a enjoyable read for me. It's a great debut, really, it is! There were just some things within the novel that I'm not a fan of, including "insta-love." The story itself is brilliant, though. I've never read anything like it. The ideas are original, the plot line was captivating and the characters were, overall, very likable.Just before Arionna Jacobs starts college, her mother dies in a car accident. When the audience really gets to know her, we see a sad, lonely girl who misses her mother, the woman that was also her best friend. Ari, as she called by those she is close with, decides to move in with her father and go to school at the university where he works. There she meets Mandy, along with a set of triplets: Beth, Dani, and Chelle. They become fast friends, though the real connection is between Chelle and Ari. She also meets Dace, the man who gets her heart racing, her body jittery and takes over her mind with dominant thoughts that terrify and confuse her. As they grow closer, she learns things about Dace, about herself that shock her to her very core and things that will change her life in every way imaginable.I liked the triplets and Gage, even though we didn't see much of him. Chelle was my favorite character. She was sweet and really cared for Dace, Ari and their other friends. She thought of everyone before she thought of herself. Such a sweetheart. Ari's dad was also an awesome character. Stories where the parents really love and cherish their children make me super happy. This was one of those stories! I liked Dace and Ari, but they both had quirks that annoyed me. I really liked their backstories and those backstories explained a lot about who they were and why the couple acted the way they did.The insta-love was what really bothered me. That along with the info dumping are why I had trouble reading at some points. Another issue I had with the novel was the language, which was a bit mature for the age group it was written about. Like I said before, the idea of this novel was awesome. It's obvious that it takes a lot of work to have that fit the plot, and I admire the author for being able to pull it off as well as she did. I've seen other people say that this novel reminded them of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and I can see where they are coming from. There does appear to have been some influence by the popular series, but elements they share are not overwhelming. They really can't be compared because Ms. Morgen truly makes Fade her own.I loved the writing style in Fade. It was very dark and picturesque. The setting was so written so vividly that I could easily see it in my mind. Not many authors can do that. Ms. Morgan has a lot of talent! She has also really piqued my interest in Norse mythology. I've never read or heard any Norse tales. I will definitely be changing that now that I've got a taste of their legends!Ms. Morgen gives us a great story in Fade and I really am looking forward to reading the next installment. There is a lot than can be done with this series and I think the author will handle it excellently.I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley.