emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Broken Wings (Angel Eyes, #2) - Shannon Dittemore As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't like angel books. Now, I know what you are thinking: "Why did you pick up Broken Wings if you don't like angel books?" The answer is because I was extremely impressed with the first book in this series, Angel Eyes. I decided to read Broken Wings because though this is a pretty religion-oriented novel, it is handled tastefully and the story is compelling beyond the religious aspects.In Broken Wings, Brielle and Jake are in search of answers. Answers about Jake's past, answers about Brielle's mom and answers about their gifts. But beyond their search, danger is coming and it's coming for them. The Prince knows of their existence and wants Damien, whose eyes have been restored, to be them to him. It doesn't help that Brielle's father is starting to fall apart, or that Jake's been keeping a secret. To survive the impending battle of good and evil, Brielle and Jake must trust in each other, trust in the Father and fight.I really love these characters. They are genuine and easy to relate to, which made reading the book a breeze. Brielle and Jake's love for each other is pure and so fantastically sweet. Brielle's dad really angered me in this story. He's drinking a lot. He's being cruel to Jake, even though Jake is being nothing but kind to him. He's also dating a much younger woman who Brielle doesn't trust. I really wanted to smack her dad. He's extremely selfish in this novel and I started to loathe him. And Olivia? I had a bad feeling about her from the moment she was introduced. I look forward to seeing how the author expands her story in the next book. The minor characters that are reintroduced from the first book continue to build the plot. Especially Marco and Kaylee. I wish we could see inside their heads!The story itself was captivating. I read through it quickly and didn't even think about putting it down. The author brilliant weaves a tale that will capture the interest of all of its readers, even those who, like me, are not religious. I have so many questions I need answered. Broken Wings left a lot unresolved. We are introduced to many new problems, but only given a few solutions. It sets up the final book nicely. Ms. Dittemore has thoroughly impressed me with these Broken Wings and its prequel, Angel Eyes. I eagerly am awaiting the third and final book in the series, Dark Halo. (Though I'm not excited about having to wait six months to read it because of the way the book ended!)I received an e-copy of this novel from the publisher for my honest opinion and review via Netgalley.