emfrombookjems

Reading, Writing and Being Generally Awesome

I have no idea what I'm doing.
A Girl Named Summer - Julie Garwood As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!3.5 StarsThis book was so sweet! I've never read a book by Julie Garwood before, so I think it is fitting that I started by reading one of her first books.A Girl Named Summer is about a girl… named Summer. Summer and her best friend, Regina, had plans for the summer. Plans that were ruined when Summer's parents ask her to take care of her brother, Michael, and grandfather. Things look up when Summer meets David, Michael's swim teacher. David makes her happy and all Summer wants is to impress him. She gets herself in a serious mess when she and Regina lie to him by saying that Summer runs miles upon miles everyday.The characters in this novel are relatable, as are the situations. Many people get stuck in lies while trying to impress people. I know that I have before. The moral of this story is that you need to be who you are, and not let what others may think of you dictate your life. Living your life around the thoughts of others will only lead you to having an empty life. When the people who you lived your life for leave you, what will you have left? Our protagonist, Summer, learns this lesson the hard way. Luckily, the author saw fit to leave us with a happy ending!A Girl Named Summer was a cute, fast read. It only took me a couple hours from start to finish. Though it's a bit out of date, it is a great read for young women. The message remains the same for every generation. This book is also a great summer read! It's perfect for reading poolside because there isn't any real heartache, just some minor teenage angst!While this was the first book that I've read by this author, it will definitely not be the last. Judging by the message and writing style of this novel, Julie Garwood writes sweet, endearing romances that will leave you smiling. I was definitely smiling as I finished A Girl Named Summer! I am looking forward to reading more of Ms. Garwood's work in the future!I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via Netgalley.